Friday, May 18, 2007

Utah-Spain 2003 (7)

Hey gang.... I think my reputation as good travel e-mailer (or annoying self absorbed journaler) is dwindling.. and this one won't help matters... I just thought I would touch base... update things a bit...

I am still in ... you guessed it, sunny Andalucia! Working at the Finca la Campana still, in El Chorro, near Málaga... But, that is soon to end... Justin has already left with his parents to see Sevilla, Granada and Barcelona... they're here on a whirlwind trip of Spain... on the 13th he goes north to boulder in Fontenbleau with Cy and Kestrel... yep, they came thru too after they landed in Spain.. spent three days with us, climbing, cooking yummy food, drinking cheap yummy wine and just enjoying sun and limestone! it was super super great to see Kesaroo! I may reunite with her in Siurana at some point, but in the meantime, her and Cy are off to Chamonix then Germany!

As for my big travels... I leave the Finca around the 24th of March and meet Justin... We'll do a month in Siurana at the end of which I am going to Ireland!! for 10 days to see family, attend a mass for my aunt who died last year and climb with some Irish lads I met here at the Finca!!! And then, as flights from London are so cheap, I am going to Sweden for one week... straight to Gothenberg and into the guest bedroom of some friends I met here at the Finca... one of which plays in a reggae band and has a show the week I come up! Hopefully I'll get to see Oslo and Stockholm as well, but a week in Gothenberg, climbing with new friends is fine with me! The ticket was only €35 roundtrip from London... and I was in the airport anyway on my way back to Barcelona... after Sweden, I'll meet Justin in barcelona and then we go to Ceuse, France to climb for a month before moving east to Germany, Czech and maybe Austria....

Then!!!!! I got accepted to the PhD program at the U of Utah, so I'll be back in August to SLC, UT and I am buying a house with Zuzana and Aleksander, both of whom have been accepted to graduate programs at the U starting in the fall... we're all psyched to settle for a few years and not worry about landlords!

Aside from all that... the climbing was on the up and up as Justin was leaving... good motivator, ya know! But, I still have a small crew of long termers, including Daniel the American and Andie and Derek the Squamish-Whistler BC Canadians and Tobjorn (aka Toblerone) the Norwegian!!! So..... the routes are still being crushed and the time is still passing with laughter, good food and wine! I love life! I hope you all feel the same right now!!! AND... speaking of life and loving it... I'll be back for Climb for Life in the fall (Sept. 14-16th!!) So, I hope to see all that apply at that event in SLC this year!!! Wahoo!

Love and best to every one of you!!! Don't forget to look up once in a while and notice that the clouds are all moving in different directions... well, it happens in El Chorro anyway!

Hasta luego!! Oh - did I mention that my picture got published in Klettern, a German climbing magazine in an article about El Chorro!! haha!! What are the chances!!??

No comments: