Friday, May 18, 2007

Utah-Spain 2003 (6)

Hey gang... Just wanted to be in touch ... no mega updates... I am still in El Chorro.. still living in a tent with my boyfriend under that same olive tree.

The weather is on and off, but we are managing to climb tons. We rented a car last week with three others for a change of scenery.. namely a great lakeside crag over the hill and out of the gorge.. about 20 minutes by car from our pillows! It was awesome and I did my hardest route of the trip (not saying much cause psyche comes and goes.. I should be way stronger.. but alas, life as a roadtripper.. I think you may get weaker actually!) Anyway, it was a perfect line for the grade up blue streaked tufa limestone with big moves and long pushes well above the bolt.. good for my head and my 'dig-deep' grrr! So - yay for that! Next step is another in the same area.. oh, thankfully our Britt buddy Adrian rented a car this week to tick his next project in the same area! Justin is going to do a perfect 8a and when I make it to that level (soon) I'll be on it with him! It's gorgeous too.. tufas, smooth pockets, plenty of bolts ..hehe... and just plain cool moves!

Enough climbing talk though... life is great! I am part of El Chorro... and part of the Finca and it'll be hard to move on, but we will be very soon! Justin will head north with his parents mid March and after I finish up at the Finca, I'll head north to meet him in Siurana. Kestrel Hanson will be here to visit me with her man Cy on the 2nd of March! Anyone else!!!???

As for the vistas... still the same in Spain.. Sheep with bells making music for us while we climb, orange trees dropping gifts at our feet left and right and olive trees too productive to be kept up with.. though the men with nets and tree shaking machines do try their damnedest... I've found several cottages/fincas that I could buy and call home.. you know, small cottages in the middle of an almond grove.. needing remodel and attention but very ready for young woman with intention to own animals for companionship.. even burros, chickens and a cow! Ya know almond trees bloom with pink flowers in the spring.. they're reminiscent of the flower that the last samuri considered perfect... hehe

Justin and I have been watching several movies lately.. rest day activity in Malaga and our main source of Spanish input.. sadly... We've seen, not leaving out the major classics...heehheee.. When Mona Lisa Smiles, El Ultimo Samuri, Paycheck (Worse!), Cold Creek Manor (not recommended) ... The Insider (good), Reality Bites... flashback to high school... My Shirona! doo doo doo doo do do do do .. you know... Anyway... the best was definitely the last samuri in Spanish... Japanese accent included for authenticity!

Our only hardships in Spain are our inability to find Rooster Sauce (aka - sriraka sauce, made in Korea and a staple in our recipes) and peanut butter... which we just found the other day for a whopping 3.50$ for Capitan Mani! and our desire for sun when it's shady and shade when it's sunny... oh, the hard life of a vagabond climbing bum! Again, I ask, anyone wish to join us?

The best are the random music selections we pool from those that pass through.. had a blast with Billie Holladay the other day ... reminded me of The Color Purple which I watched so many times when I was a kid.. cause I owned it for some reason... "You sho is ugly!" Also great are the rest days by the pool where someone undoubtedly goes in without wishing to... the water is still too cold...

As far as "what the hell does Rai think she's doing with her life"... well, who cares.. but if you really do... I'm still considering coming back to the U of U if they'll take me BUT I've also inquired about starting at the U of Barcelona with the same program.. and the application process is simple enough and the director of the program is encouraging... so, it's just a matter of finances.. no teaching assistanceship there and no waived tuition.. etc.. but it's only 53 euros per credit and I could take a half load to start and see what happens.. but who knows.. anyone know about the validity of a PhD from Spain -vs- one from an American University... I'll have to keep researching on rest days....

Well, I do love to hear from folks so stay in touch and let me know what you're up to! With spring break coming for some.... there must be plans in the works... hasta luego amigos!

No comments: