Friday, May 18, 2007

Utah-Dominican Republic 2005 (2)

Hey Everyone - If you're at work and this is too much to handle - I understand!

So, I picked up mom and dad at the airport three days ago. I knew they would come out wide-eyed and freaked from the craziness of the Customs area in this airport. They came out smiling and laughing a bit about the chaos. We hopped in the rental car and headed straight out to the resort... thru several impoverished towns with no shortage of shanty to see on the way. It was an eye opener for them, having never been to Latin America before. I was shamefully desensitized by all my travel and got the chance to see it all over again thru their eyes. It was, I realized, the first time I have been to Latin America with no compananions to travel with (Will, et all to Bolivia, U of U to Mexico, Mandy and Tommy to Peru, and a planned school exchange to Guatemala...) so it was even a stretch for me to feel at ease getting off the plane and dealing ... blah blah -

The resort is sick. It's all inclusive, meaning - sea kayaking, snorkeling, drinking anything under the tikki hut and all the food all day is FREE FREE... crazy! An Irish man wouldn't last a day here - He'd be passed out with alcohol and sun poisoning on the first day... but, we seasoned Irish Americans are pacing ourselves and fairing will with the number of Coco Loco's we take down daily. The food is abundant and available 24/7 which is disgusting in comparison with the poverty on the other side of the highway - Luckily, the heat and activities of the day keep me at small meals...

They even had a performance for us the other day... A play of sorts where Andrew Lloyd Webber meets Def Leopard - Yes, they began the play with music from A Warewolf In London, - the beginning of the scary tale - then moved on to the voodoo of the diablo to a Metallica song, then a love dance with the bad guy and the hot chica to Phantom of the Opera and of course then all the bad guys danced to Pour some Sugar on Me by Def Leopard and then there was a little Poison and a few other show tunes and at the end, well - the crowd was at least moved... from butt cheek to butt cheek during the show cause of the concrete seats! But the dancing and acting was entertaining to say the least....

Tomorrow my mom and I are snorkeling on Catalina Island... it's off to the buffet now - I'll write when I get to my job in Santiago and have something real to say - not just spray about life on a Caribbean beach, taking refuge under tikki tents when the Merengue class has ended and I'm officially spent from kayaking and the like... I have to say, though, after the year I just had... I needed this badly! Ciao amicos...

No comments: